Your Service Call is Scheduled. Here's What You Can Do to Get Your Garage Ready.
The overhead garage door on your home has stopped working and you need to place a service call. Sounds simple enough – call any garage door company that pops up on an internet search and make an appointment. While this is basically true you can do some things before placing the call to help ensure you will receive the most effective service. At Overhead Door Co. of Central Jersey we like to work with our customers to provide the best possible service experience and service value.
Here are some tips that will help us to provide the best possible service experience:
• Vehicles out of the work area if possible – if vehicle is trapped in garage be prepared to move it for the technician as soon as he or she opens the door for you.
• Tools/hobby equipment/other items moved out of the work area.
• Be prepared to keep children and pets away from the work area while the technician is on site Before calling take a look at the garage door system and collect answers to the following questions:
• Is the reason the door is not working visible? IE: Broken spring, cable, track, roller, hinge, etc.
• Is the reason the door is not working vague to you? Perhaps a scenario similar to: ‘the door worked last night but when I pushed the button this morning nothing happened?
• If the spring is broken is it the type that stretches out from the rear hanger support of the track that is mounted to the ceiling (extension or stretch type spring) or is it the type that is mounted and wound on a pipe above the top of the upper door section (torsion type spring).
• Does the size of your garage door accommodate one car or two cars? (Is the door single car wide or two cars wide?)
• Can you determine the manufacturer or brand of the garage door?
• Is the door electrically/automatically operated? If so was the garage door opener working reliably up to the point where the door failed to operate?
• Can you determine the manufacturer or brand of the automatic opener system?
• Was there any specific event that led to the service requirement? Was the door hit by a vehicle, was it closed on an object and damaged, was it frozen to the ground and failed to open when activated, etc.
If something is visually obvious to you, take a photo or two that will show this condition and be ready to email it to the service manager – it can be so true that a picture is worth a thousand words. This applies not only for the type of damage but to assist in identifying the product brand and model. Look at the edges of the door section for a label or sticker with manufacturer information. Look at the hardware and check for any identifying information. Take a good, clear photo of the inside of the door and a good, clear photo of the outside of the door. Be prepared to send these along with any close up photos of broken parts or damage. If the door is making noise you cannot identify, if the problem is intermittent or if the problem is hard to describe it may pay to make a short video of the door and opener system in operation. You can then email or upload this photo documentation allowing our service manager will be able to see the problem you are describing.
A bit of preparation prior to ordering a service call can pay big dividends by allowing us to answer more questions before dispatching a technician and reducing service costs as well as down time by being as informed and prepared as possible to address your specific needs. A quality service company will also maintain this information in your customer profile so any future service requirement can be more effectively addressed.
To place a garage door opener service call with us in the Central New Jersey area:
To learn more about Overhead Door Co. of Central Jersey before booking your call you can visit us at www.OverheadDoorCo.com.